What you'll need:
- 8 oz whole milk
- 12 oz cream
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 ounces egg yolks (2-3 eggs, depending on size)
- 7 ounces sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ounce Frangelico
- 12 ounces of your favorite Blizzard mix-in, like Fauxreos
How to do it:
1. In a medium pot, bring the milk and cream to a boil together with the vanilla bean. When the mixture begins to simmer, shut of the heat and cover with a lid. Steep for an hour.
2. Return the dairy mixture to a simmer. Meanwhile whisk the sugar gradually into the yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk in the sugar and the salt bit by bit.
3. Once the dairy begins to simmer, fish out the vanilla bean and use a spatula to scrape out all of the heavily flavored cream from inside the pod. It's better to scrape out the vanilla pod while it's still warm.
4. Now, whisk some of the hot dairy mixture into the egg yolks, one ladle full at a time, until the egg mixture is quite warm. Then whisk the egg mixture into the pot of cream and turn the heat to medium or medium low.
5. Stir constantly, making sure to scrape all along the bottom of the pot to avoid allowing any of the mixture to curdle. You can use a thermometer to cook it to 140.
6. Immediately shut off the heat and strain the custard through a sieve and into a large bowl. Stir in the Frangelico.
7. Cool it in an ice bath and refrigerate overnight.